I'm currently working on my project for this class. It's on the Generation Z - the kids born after 1990. These kids use technology to learn, for entertainment and for information. This is all very exciting and innovative, but the amount of time that they spend on it is ridiculous. It's sad. It makes me want to go back to the days when I was a kid. When I played outside, made mud pies and fed cookies to ants. Do kids ever explore anymore? Do they ever play or do they just have toys that play FOR them rather than WITH them. I know it's not as extreme as I'm making it out to be, kids are still kids after all, but I can see that society is changing at a rapid pace. It scares me that kids will forget how to play, that they will have poor social skills because, frankly, they have few opportunities in which to practice them.
Maybe I fear it because I can see this happening to myself. Granted 90% of the work that I do on the computer is school related, but the amount of time I pour into using technology is daunting. My phone, TV, internet, social networking sites - it's my life during the week. Our world is so technologically driven that I really can't get out of it...not if I want to complete assignments and stay in contact with friends.
You raise some legitimate concerns about gen z, however, hasn't every "next" generation been labelled a little unfairly? i.e. "Kids these days!!!"
ReplyDeleteWe need to use or background and perspective to help, by modelling, these students.
In your project try also to look at traits of this generation that have shown growth from previous generations.