http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_creativity.html
Check the above link out. it's pretty interesting. The speaker is a man named Ken Robinson. I've heard him speak via the web before and I've seen a number of videos that he has created about education today. What he says makes me really think. Everyone I've talk to has said the same.
He raises a number of very important issues. Issues that cause me to worry and issues that make me ask, "well, what can I do?"
One of these issues has been very prevalent in my life. My parents' generation had a number of choices coming out of high school. They could work, go to college or go to university. The same is true for today except that "work" is defined as finding employment at a fast food restaurant and really, people today are only given the option to enter college, the trades or university.
You have no idea how many people I know who have attended college or university and are working in retail, fast food or another career that does not require their degree. There are so many people who are overqualified and like Ken Robinson says, it's like inflation. Education is encouraged and relatively easy to attain. Students are told that if they are smart, they must enter university...then what? Work as a server in a restaurant after five years university and begin to pay off the $50,000 of student debt?
This is something that has been hitting me personally this year as I prepare to enter the workforce. Jobs, especially jobs in education are hard to find. I worry about finances. I worry about wasting five years of education and almost $100,000. And people say that going to university is a wise choice? Really? I long to teach in a classroom. To help children discover new things, but the educational system and our society needs to have a wake-up call!
Thankfully, I'm not my own. I've got a God who has brought me this far for a purpose. He has helped me through university both financially and academically. He hasn't let trouble come to me thus far and I trust that he will continue to keep guiding me towards his divine purposes for my life. I need not worry (although I often do) about my future. He's blessed me so much already and I know that it's his desire to keep pouring on those blessings.
I just have to figure out why he's chosen to take me on this path. Guess we'll wait and see. :)
I hope you can reach your goal of being in the classroom! It really is a great place!
ReplyDelete